The Government Arts and Science College, Kallakurichi, erstwhile Thiruvalluvar University Constituent Arts and College was established in the year 2011 as per the G.O.Ms.No.35, Higher Education department dated 08.02.2011. The college initially started as a University Constituent College was administered and functioning under the control of Thiruvalluvar University, Vellore.
The college with its rural background is located 250 kms south of Chennai and 100kms east of Salem. The College was started on the popular demand for a higher education in the rural areas, to help the school-leaving youngsters of Kallakuruchi and its neighboring taluks. The intent was to pursue higher studies at low cost, with a purpose to disseminate Higher Education to rural India.
The College was started with four Under Graduate courses namely, B.A.English, B.Com, B.Sc.Computer Science and B.Sc.Mathematics. Initially there were only 400 students and 12 teachers but now grew to have student strength of more than 1700 and nearly 70 teachers. Presently the College is offering seven UG courses and 4 PG courses. Despite the fact that the college is located in a rural area, it caters to the needs of all sections of people, especially the poor and the down-trodden in and around Kallakurichi.
In December 2020, the College was converted into Government Arts and Science College, vide G.O.Ms.No.184, Higher Education Department dated 11.12.2020. Now the college is affiliated to Annamalai University, Chidambaram from the year 2021-2022.
The college set its goal to spread knowledge among the rural youth of the area to acquire Higher Education at low cost.
Emerge as a leading higher educational institution in the rural status to widen the range of knowledge and understanding of the social, economic and political systems in order to create an awareness about the environment and Social Justice.
To promote secularism, national integration, education and communal harmony among the rural youth.